- Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
- Academic Programs:
- Higher Education and Student Affairs
- Degree/Certificate Programs:
- M.S.Ed. in Higher Education and Student Affairs; Ph.D. in Higher Education; Ed.D. in Higher Education
- Research Areas:
- College Student Persistence and Completion, Access and Equity, Underrepresented Student Outcomes
- ED 4224
- (812) 856-8387
Dr. Shirley is an Assistant Professor of Higher Education and Student Affairs at Indiana University Bloomington. His research uses quantitative methods to explore topics of college access, persistence, and completion for traditionally underrepresented and underserved student populations. Prior to joining Indiana University, Shirley served as a Postdoctoral Teaching and Research Associate at the Institute of Higher Education (IHE) at the University of Georgia and worked within higher education administration focusing on student leadership, student engagement, diversity education, academic advising, and admissions.
Shirley is actively involved in national associations such as the Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE) and the American Educational Research Association (AERA). He holds a Ph.D. in Higher and Postsecondary Education from New York University, a M.A. in Higher Education and Student Personnel Administration from New York University, and a B.A. in English Pre-Education from The Ohio State University.