Goal 4a: The SoE community will increase the number of historically excluded faculty, staff, and students hired and retained.
Goal 4b: SoE community will actively recruit faculty from historically excluded populations
- Recruit historically excluded faculty.
- Retain historically excluded faculty. Develop a search “toolkit” of comprehensive guidelines for faculty searches and a toolkit to explore creative options to attract historically excluded faculty.
- Develop a culture and practices of hiring, funding, and supporting students from historically excluded populations.
- Require hiring committee to participate in workshop/trainings (e.g., implicit bias).
- Educate members of the hiring unit so that they understand how they can constructively contribute to a successful search with a diverse pool of faculty applicants.
- Modify the search process (e.g., job postings and visit schedules) to better match the needs and interests of faculty of color and those from historically excluded groups.
- Ensure a diverse search committee with members who understand how diversity is a priority for the hiring unit.
- Utilize faculty networks to build a more diverse pool of applicants.
- Network with current and potential faculty of color and those from historically excluded groups at other institutions, which may even include inviting individuals to campus prior to a search.
- Consider the full range of faculty candidate qualities and how those qualities could contribute to the goals of the hiring unit and the SoE’s goals of increasing representation across a range of identities.
- Engage in open communication with faculty candidates about the strengths and challenges of the hiring unit, school, and community.
- Connect faculty candidates to people across campus and in the community who share their interests and potential concerns when they visit campus.
- Consider alternatives to “regular” search processes (e.g., targeted hiring, cluster hiring, post-doc positions) to increase the number of faculty of color hires and those from historically underrepresented groups.