Build Up Your Resume
Now that you know teaching is the right fit, it’s time to start building your resume. Early field experience and student teaching will be critical components of your learning. But it’s also important to take advantage of the many opportunities on and off campus that will set you apart from other candidates during your job search. Remember that timing is everything, so plan to have these experiences completed in the semesters before your student teaching begins.
Kinds of Experience Employers Look For
- Working with children
- Leadership opportunities
- Working with diverse populations
Here are some suggestions for building your resume:
- Join student organizations and pursue leadership positions. There are over 750 student organizations on campus.
- View our professional development calendar and more workshops inCareer Connection Online.
- Find local volunteer opportunities at the Bloomington Volunteer Network.
- Review the Education Career Guide to find more experiential opportunities.
- Search Career Connections Online for internships and part-time professional opportunities.
- Gain classroom experience by substitute teaching for Monroe County Community School Corporation, Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corp., or Brown County Schools.
- Consider participating in Global Gateway for Teachers to gain cultural immersion experience.
- Consider adding a minor, license addition, or language classes to make you even more marketable.