Build Up Your Resume
Now that you know teaching is the right fit, it’s time to start building your resume. Early field experience and student teaching will be critical components of your learning. But it’s also important to take advantage of the many opportunities on and off campus that will set you apart from other candidates during your job search.
Kinds of Experience Employers Look For
- Working with children
- Leadership opportunities
- Working with diverse populations
Here are some suggestions for building your resume:
- Join student organizations and pursue leadership positions. There are over 750 student organizations on campus.
- View our professional development calendar and more workshops in Handshake.
- Find local volunteer opportunities at the Bloomington Volunteer Network.
- Search Handshake for internships and part-time professional opportunities, but also learn about ways to protect yourself from fraudulent jobs and scams.
- Gain classroom experience by substitute teaching for Monroe County Community School Corporation, Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corp., North Lawrence Community Schools, Brown County Schools, or Monroe Smart Start.
- Work for district before/after school programs, such as MCCSC and RBBCSC.
- Gain experience working with kids as a tutor, sitter, or caregiver via Care.com.
- Consider participating in Global Gateway for Teachers to gain cultural immersion experience.
- Consider adding a minor, license addition, or certificate to make you even more marketable.