Career Connections, a vital part of the School of Education, assists students and alumni with one of the more important phases of their professional career: the job search process. The Career Connections office offers many workshops and related courses to help you prepare for your job search and develop skills that will help you stand out to employers.
Workshops and Training
The IU School of Education maintains an excellent network of teacher and administrator alums and partners. Guests frequently visit campus to share their knowledge and insights into professional development topics and trends in education (not to mention their interest in meeting talented young teachers).
- Friday, January 18 at 11am (ED 2140)
How to Get a Teaching Job
- Tuesday, February 12 at 7pm (ED 3275)
Educating Students in Poverty
- Tuesday, February 26 at 7pm (ED 3275)
LGBTQ Issues in Education
- Friday, March 22 at 1pm (ED North Lawn)
Crisis Action Leadership Lab
- Wednesday, March 27 at 7pm (ED 2140)
The Grand Challenge: Facing the Opioid Addiction in Our Schools
- Wednesday, April 3 at 7pm (ED 2140)
The Grand Challenge: Naproxen Training
- Wednesday, April 10 at 6pm (ED 2140)
Teacher Job Search Panel
- Tuesday, April 16 6pm-8pm (ED 2140)
Drop-In Interview Day Prep
- Tuesday, April 23 8am-4:30pm (Indiana Memorial Union)
CPR/AED certification is required for teacher licensing in Indiana. Upon successful completion of the 3-hour workshop, attendees will receive Red Cross CPR/AED certification that is good for two years.
The cost is $78.
Morning (9am - noon) sessions will be held in ED 1225 on:
- Saturday, January 19
- Saturday, February 16
- Saturday, March 23
- Saturday, April 13
Registration Required: Email Greg May at email@example.com with your name, phone number, e-mail address, and date/session that you would like to attend.
Suicide Prevention Training certification is required to be licensed to teach in Indiana. Upon successful completion of this 2-hour training, attendees will receive a certificate.
Sessions are FREE.
- Tuesday, January 15 - 9:30am-11:30am (ED 2140)
- Thursday, February 14 - 4pm-6pm (ED 2140)
- Wednesday, March 27 - 2:30pm-4:30pm (ED 2140)
- Friday, April 12 - 10am-12pm (ED 2277)
Registration Required: Register for upcoming sessions in Career Connections Online.
This is an 8 week, 1 credit hour course that is designed to help juniors and seniors transition from student to professional teacher (but may also be taken while student teaching).
This course features school administrators as guest speakers, and is recommended to be taken the semester before student teaching.
For more information please email Andy Bosk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who have completed M202 receive priority status for Interview Day scheduling.
- Learn effective tips for creating, proofing and enhancing your teaching resume.
- Create a first draft or polish your existing resume with the help of Career Connections staff.
- Ask specific questions about your resume.
Workshops are not currently offered this semester. For all resume questions, please make an appointment with our staff.
- Find out what NOT to say in an interview.
- Ask current and former administrators what they look for in a teacher candidate.
- Learn great answers to tough questions.
- Get tips about preparing for upcoming job interviews.
Workshops this semester:Workshops are not currently offered this semester. For all interviewing questions or to schedule a mock interivew, please make an appointment with our staff.
You’re invited to participate in the School of Education’s new series designed to bring our alumni together. Whether you’re looking for help or advice, want to bounce some ideas around, or would like to share your experiences, these discussions are for you.
We will be meeting online via Zoom the last Tuesday of every month at 6pm.
- Spring Dates and Topics Available Soon!
Additional workshops are being planned, so check back frequently to get more information. If you have ideas for workshops you’d like to see offered, please e-mail email@example.com.