Visits are covered by the following policy regarding responsibilities of scholars and sponsoring members of faculty.
Visiting Scholar Policies
- (Typically) hold a faculty position, or a comparable research or administrative appointment, with a recognized institution
- Identify a faculty sponsor
- Provide required documentation as listed on the SoE website
- Secure housing for period of stay while in Bloomington
- Must maintain contact with faculty host regarding research proposal progress
- Comply with Office of International Services J-1 scholar requirements
Two weeks or more before leaving IU:
- A short (2-page) Visiting Scholar Report, outlining tangible accomplishment(s) achieved during the visit, to complete your visit.
Before the scholar arrives:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org of your willingness to support the visiting scholar, and provide a short statement of expectation for support for and/or collaboration with the visiting scholar.
After the scholar arrives:
- Introduce the visiting scholar at a department or program faculty meeting during the scholar’s visit
- Provide the support and/or carry out activities included in the Sponsor form
International Programs Committee Policy recommendations for Visiting Scholars
- No more than three International Visiting Scholars at a time may be hosted by any faculty.
- Visiting Scholars must be affiliated with a recognized university as faculty, advanced doctoral candidate, or administrator.
- Deadlines for applications: Fall Term: November 1 of previous year. Spring and Summer Term: April 1 of previous year.
- Faculty hosts are the primary contact and therefore should only accept an International Visiting Scholar if they will be present on campus to supervise and assist their visitor.
- All visiting scholars will be required to complete an application form and to pay all the appropriate fees.
- All visiting scholars will be required to complete a Visiting Scholars Report before the completion of their visit and sent it to their faculty sponsor.
- The faculty sponsor must then send the report to CIEDR for filing purposes.
- An application fee will be charged for visiting scholars with a possible waiver for those coming from minority countries. It is anticipated that the fee should be kept low and accessible.