The rigid structure of most teacher education programs makes it difficult to take part in a traditional study-abroad or off-campus internships. Our program provides students invaluable intercultural immersion experiences while also fulfilling their student teaching requirements.
Our cultural immersion programs are recognized as some of the most rigorous and innovative professional opportunities available. We have been honored by:
- Institute of International Education Heiskell Awards for Innovation in Higher Education
- The International Awards for Innovative Practices in Higher Education
- The Goldman Sachs Foundation Prizes for Excellence in International Education
- The AACTE's Best Practice Award for Global and International Teacher Education
Is Global Gateway Right for You?
Each Global Gateway program is a challenging and sometimes difficult experience for participants. Students are required to spend at least eight weeks away from Bloomington, work long hours, and adapt quickly to unfamiliar cultures. Participation requires a two-year commitment, beginning with a preparatory phase that includes monthly classes, readings, and a workshop, culminating in the student teaching experience.
Students who are most likely to succeed in cultural immersion experiences have these qualities:
- Emotional stability, good health, and willingness to adjust and adapt to unfamiliar and challenging circumstances
- Freedom from worries about family and friends or other social obligations
- Adequate financial resources to pay program fees, travel expenses, and living expenses away from Bloomington (some financial aid may be available)
- Strong professional and personal objectives for their experience
If you are interested in participating in a Global Gateway program, please fill out the Student Interest Form.