As a Guest Student, you will attend Bloomington classes as part of the Preparatory Phase of the Navajo Nation or Overseas Program. The Preparatory Phase begins the academic year before you student teach. You will also register for a minimum of 3 master’s level credits, but you do not need to be registered for anything before you attend the first class. Read below to learn how to join one of the programs.
Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 Student Teachers
To join the program, you will begin the Preparatory Phase in the Fall 2020. This year, the prep phase will be primarily online, using Canvas to guide you through the readings, assignments, and activities that will prepare you for your Global Gateway placement in 2021-22. We will also organize meetings with you – in groups and individually – using Zoom and possibly face-to-face. You do not need to be registered in any Global Gateway course credit to get started!
Make sure you have been added to our email lists to get important reminders as well by coming in to talk to us or completing the interest form.
Fall 2020 Prep Phase
To begin the Fall 2020 Prep Phase, please follow these simple steps:
- Fill out the interest form!
- Accept the invitation we will send you to join the Global Gateway Canvas prep course! Do this by September 4!
- If you have questions, e-mail the Global Gateway director, Dr. Stachowski.
We look forward to working with you on this exciting opportunity!
Fall 2022 or Later Student Teachers
Students who will be student teaching in a few semesters will begin the Global Gateway Preparatory Phase one academic year before they begin student teaching. This means that you may need to wait some time before joining one of the programs. If we have your name on our list, you will get email reminders about when you should begin attending classes.
Some things you can be doing now to plan ahead:
- Let your advisor on your home campus know that you are considering joining a program
- Make an appointment with a Global Gateway staff member to get your questions answered and learn more (phone/videoconference calls are options).
- Make sure your name is on our lists for reminders about how to begin the program (check with Global Gateway staff or complete an interest form online)