Find a Job
Start Your Career
The job search can be scary, but we have your back. Persist, and you will find your place.
You have the experience, but now you need to invest time and energy into marketing yourself as an asset to schools. School principals have told us that it is important for candidates to have more than just a resume and experience—you must be able to sell yourself. You need to tell your story and what you have accomplished.
Schedule an advising appointment with us to review your application materials, job search strategies, and even do a mock interview to practice your pitch. Here are additional suggestions:
- See the Jobs section of Handshake. Note that you must have a resume uploaded and approved before you can apply for a position.
- Grab a copy of the Job Search Handbook from our office. It includes invaluable information, such as answering common interview questions, crafting your “elevator speech,” and managing your online presence.
- Attend Interview Day in April. Over 60 school districts from Indiana and other states across the nation participate, and you can get interview experience and learn about current vacancies. Note that you must have a resume uploaded and approved on Career Connections Online to attend this event.
- Enroll in M202 Job Search Strategies to receive college credit for preparing for the job search
- Create a LinkedIn account to help network with others professionally. Connect with professionals you already know and join groups such as the IU School of Education Alumni Network.
- Connect with our alumni using the IU Alumni Directory. Request informational interviews and come prepared with questions about how to successfully transition to the workplace.
Here are some more helpful resources as you prepare:
- Resume Guide
- Interviewing Guide
- Cover Letter and Letter of Inquiry Guide
- CV Guide
- ePortfolio Guidelines
- Online Job Posting Sites (including state-specific links)
- Licensing Information by State
- Professional Networking Associations, Sites & Guidelines
- Indiana Department of Education Site Guide
- International Job Search Resources
- http://www.nemnet.com – Minority Recruitment Resources