Before You Apply
To receive an Indiana state teaching license, you will need to fulfill the following license requirements:
- Complete your teacher education program, including student teaching
- Take licensing exams for your selected content area(s) and have the results reported to Indiana University
- Take a pedagogy test in the developmental area & your license
- Earn your CPR/AED/Heimlich certification
- Complete Suicide Prevention Training
Upcoming Changes to the Indiana Licensing Exams
Indiana will be transitioning from the Pearson Indiana CORE Assessments for Educator Licensure tests to the ETS Praxis tests beginning on September 1, 2021. Please talk with your academic advisor or email email@example.com to find out if you should take the CORE test or wait to take the Praxis test.
How to Apply
When you have met all the requirements, you are ready to submit your online application to the State of Indiana.
- Log on to the Indiana LVIS (Licensing Verification and Information System) and create an individual profile.
- Upload your CPR/AED/Heimlich certification.
- Upload proof of Suicide Prevention Training.
After You Apply
After you submit your application, the state of Indiana will contact the School of Education to verify you have completed your teacher education program and confirm your licensing exam test scores. License applications will not be processed until all of your program requirements, licensing tests, CPR/AED/Heimlich certifications, and Suicide Prevention Training have been completed. When your license is approved, you will receive email confirmation, along with your license number, from the state of Indiana.
You may start looking for a teaching position before you receive your license.