Degrees & Programs
Literacy, Culture, & Language Education
Areas of Specialty
STARTALK 2013 program invites applicants for teacher training for Arabic, Chinese, Persian, and Turkish.
- To train teachers of the critical languages, Arabic, Chinese, Persian, and Turkish, in strategies to teach languages to young learners and establish programs in community settings.
- Participate in an intense residential, professional development institute with on-line learning pre- and post-institute (readings, responses and final project completion).
- Learn how to teach languages to Pre-K to grade 6 youngsters using cutting edge age-appropriate teaching methods.
- Design creative vibrant lessons, materials, & developmentally appropriate assessment.
- Gain strong skills in community language advocacy & twice weekly afternoon practicum experiences at community-based sites such as the public library, preschools & Girls Inc.
- Receive up to six credits for two courses language teaching Methods & Practicum
- Current and prospective teachers of Arabic, Chinese, Persian, or Turkish who wish to learn age-appropriate teaching methods for young learners in a community setting
- University graduate or undergraduate students of Arabic, Chinese, Persian, or Turkish who wish to add teaching credentials to their portfolio
- Class size is strictly limited to 10 graduate & 5 undergraduate students.
- Online: May 13 – May 31, 2013 2-week online orientation and readings
- Onsite: June 7 – June 28, 2013 3-week residential program (methods, practicum and project development) on IU campus
- Online Projects due: August 19, 2013
- Residential program - School of Education, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- Tuition for two 3-credit courses
- Room & Board for out of town grantees
- In-town transportation to teaching sites
- Program materials including textbook
- Center for the Study of the Middle East
- Department of Near Eastern Languages & Cultures
- Center for the Study of Global Change
- Center for Social Studies and International Education
- For program details & application forms, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (812) 855-0447
- For course questions, please contact Prof. Martha Nyikos, email@example.com or (812) 856-8272
- Download and complete the application form (MS Word) and save. Please see application form for directions and further information requested. Email the completed application form to Christi Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Please write your APPLICATION ESSAY in English (maximum two pages) and send to BOTH Christi Jones (email@example.com) and Prof. Martha Nyikos (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Name a community site/program in your area where you might teach. Please describe it. (e.g. library, youth groups, summer programs, day camps, daycare, scouting)
- For any questions or concerns about application, please feel free to email Christi Jones (email@example.com) or call (812) 855-0447.
Extended Application Deadline: Monday, May 6
PLEASE NOTE: This program is designed only for participants currently in the United States who plan on teaching within the United States and its territories.