The future of education belongs to those who want to take a leading role in helping people reach their full potential. The Indiana University School of Education is known for preparing reflective, caring, and skilled educators who make a difference in the lives of their students in Indiana, throughout the United States, and around the world.
Our mission is to improve teaching, learning, and human development in a global, diverse, rapidly changing, and increasingly technological society. We:
- prepare reflective, caring, and highly skilled educational practitioners and scholars who lead in their chosen professions;
- inform educational theory and practice through research; and
- work in partnership with a range of constituents to effect change from the local to national levels throughout the world.
Our faculty members are at the forefront of creating new knowledge and methodologies that improve and strengthen our communities. For example, we are currently working on:
- Researching the best ways to measure teacher effectiveness and providing a model and training for teacher evaluations
- Examining methods to improve mental health services for youth and families in community mental health settings
- Helping schools implement programs to prevent sexual abuse
- Developing instructional ideas and technology tools for online education
Degrees and Locations
Our academic programs offer degrees and professional licenses for teachers, counselors, school psychologists, educational leaders, curriculum designers, and scholars.
On the Bloomington campus, we offer:
- bachelor’s in teacher education (B.S.), leading to a teaching license
- master’s (M.S.), specialist (Ed.S.), and doctoral (Ed.D., Ph.D.) degrees in 19 specialty areas
We also offer online courses for professional development, certificates, master’s degrees, and a doctoral degree in Instructional Systems Technology through IUConnectEd.
Educating Indiana’s Best Teachers
The IU School of Education is a vital resource for improving education in the state of Indiana. Our graduates are regularly named the best teachers in the state for their innovative and creative approaches to educating students. We are committed to the ongoing professional development of Indiana’s teachers, and we are involved in educational improvement efforts in communities throughout the state. Notable contributions include:
- The preparation of one third of Indiana’s teachers
- 20 Indiana Teacher of the Year recipients, including the 2012 and 2011 Indiana Teacher of the Year
- 187 Lilly Endowment Teacher Creativity Fellowship winners and 10 Lilly Endowment Distinguished Teacher Fellowship winners
- The establishment of our nationally ranked online professional development courses and degree programs in 2010 to improve access for Indiana’s educators
- A partnership with the Kelley School of Business to create a leadership training academy for area principals and superintendents
Our Impact on Education Around the World
The contributions of the IU School of Education’s students, alumni, and faculty are known throughout the nation and the world. Our cultural immersion programs give undergraduate students the opportunity to teach in urban communities, American Indian reservations, and abroad. The work of our researchers sparks global innovation in effective teaching and learning models. Applying the skills they’ve developed, our students and alumni ignite passions for learning in people of all ages from all backgrounds all over the world.