Degrees & Programs
Education Policy Studies
Help shape the future of education. What can we do to boost high school graduation rates? How can we help individual schools cope with budget shortfalls at local school districts? How do we evaluate student and teacher performance? These are just a few of the challenges that education policymakers face in the 21st century.
Creating and implementing effective education policies requires a close examination of the social and historical foundations of education in the United States and beyond. It also requires a deep understanding of sociology and economics, history and anthropology, and morality and culture.
- Ph.D. in History, Philosophy, and Policy in Education-Specialization in Education Policy Studies
- Ph.D. Minor in Education Policy Studies
At the IU School of Education, you’ll get a solid foundation in the theories that have influenced policy decisions over the decades. You’ll also take an intensely practical look at policy implementation and the organizational and cultural factors that affect it.
Degree options include both the Ph.D. in Education Policy Studies or a 12-hour doctoral minor in Education Policy.
In keeping with the broad scope of our course offerings and research specialties, our faculty comes from a wide range of backgrounds. They are law, sociology, economics, and education scholars. They also bring real-world experience in developing education policy as school and university administrators, institutional researchers, and state and federal education officials.
- Vic Borden, Professor
- Gary Crow, Professor
- Dionne Danns, Associate Professor
- Janet Decker, Assistant Professor
- Suzanne Eckes, Professor
- Bradley Levinson, Professor
- Chad Lochmiller, Assistant Professor
- Sylvia Martinez, Associate Professor
- Alexander McCormick, Associate Professor
- Thomas Nelson Laird, Associate Professor
- Margaret Sutton, Associate Professor
- Andrea Walton, Associate Professor
- Robert Arnove, Professor Emeritus
- Barry Bull, Professor Emeritus
- Donald Hossler, Professor Emeritus
- Martha McCarthy, Professor Emerita
- Luise McCarty, Professor Emerita
- Christine Beresniova, Ph.D. Student and Associate Instructor
- Yajing Chen, Ph.D. Student and Graduate Assistant
- Colleen Chesnut, Ph.D. Candidate and Associate Instructor
- Candice Grant, Ph.D. Student and Associate Instructor
- Chelsea Korth, Ph.D. Student and Graduate Assistant
- Evan Mickey, Ph.D. Student
- Wen Qi, Ph.D. Student
- Francisco Javier Ramos, Ph.D. Student
- Karen Ross, Ph.D. Student and Associate Instructor
- Gabriel Ramón Serna, Associate Instructor and Ph.D. Student
Prepare for a career as a policy leader, faculty member, university or school administrator. We boast an excellent placement rate for graduates of our program.
For detailed program information, please contact: