Degrees & Programs
Martha McCarthy Education Law and Policy Institute
Agenda - June 9, 2016
Welcoming remarks from Gary Crow, Executive Associate Dean, IU School of Education
9:30-10:45 am: New Hot Topics and Cases in 2015-2016 (Willkie Auditorium)
John Borkowski, Charles Russo, Teresa James-Robinson, Seamus Boyce
Facilitator: Janet Decker
11:00-12:15 pm: Harassment/Bullying/Ethics (Willkie Auditorium)
Martha McCarthy, Stephen Harper, Lisa Tanselle
Facilitator: Suzanne Eckes
1:45-3:00 pm: Keynote Address – Abuse, Trauma and Ethics (Willkie Auditorium)
3:15-4:30 pm: Panel on the Fourth Amendment, Student/Employee Privacy and Technology and Ethics (Willkie Auditorium)
Mario Torres, Michele Moore, Tom Bunger
Facilitator: Justin Bathon
4:45-5:30 pm: Round Table Discussions (Willkie Auditorium)
- Accommodating Transgender Youth in Schools. Discussion led by Thomas Aberli.
- IEP, RTI, MDR? Current Issues Affecting Students with Disabilities. Discussion led by Elizabeth Shaver.
- Public Education and Privatization: What’s at Stake? Discussion led by Julie Mead.
- Racial Discrimination in School Discipline: Differential and Disproportionate Punishment. Discussion led by Philip T.K. Daniel.
- Women in Administration: Challenges and Opportunities. Discussion led by Concetta Raimondi, joined by Peggy Hinckley and Rosemary Rehak.
- Thomas Aberli, Ed.D., Principal of J.M. Atherton High School, Louisville, KY
- Justin Bathon, J.D., Ph.D., Associate professor at the University of Kentucky who teaches school law and ethics courses
- John Borkowski, J.D., Private practice in Illinois law firm (Husch Blackwell).
- Seamus Boyce, J.D., Private practice in Indiana law firm (Church, Church, Hittle & Antrim).
- Tom Bunger, J.D., Private practice in Indiana law firm (Bunger & Robertson).
- Philip T.K. Daniel, J.D., Ed.D., William Ray and Marie Adamson Flesher Professor of Educational Administration and adjunct professor of law at Ohio State University
- Janet Decker, J.D., Ph.D. Assistant professor at Indiana University who teaches school law and ethics courses.
- Michele Moore, Ed.D., Superintendent of the Metropolitan School District of Martinsville
- Suzanne Eckes, J.D., Ph.D., Professor at Indiana University who teaches school law and ethics courses.
- Michael Gregory, J.D., Clinical Professor of Law, Education Law Clinic, Harvard Law School, Senior Attorney, Trauma and Learning Policy Initiative of Massachusetts Advocates for Children and Harvard Law School
- Professor Michael Gregory’s keynote is sponsored as part of The Future of Professional Ethics, a series of interdisciplinary conversations sponsored by 12 units at IU & made possible by a matching grant from the College of Arts and Sciences Ostrom Grants Program. The Future of Professional Ethics at IUB also fits into a nationwide effort: learn more and join the conversation at fpe.indiana.edu.
- Stephen Harper, J.D., General Counsel's Office, Indiana University
- Peggy Hinckley, Ed.D., Former Superintendent of Hobart Township Schools, the LaPorte Community School Corporation, and MSD Warren Township
- Teresa James-Robinson, A.B.D., Coordinator, Simon Youth Academy at Circle Centre
- Martha McCarthy, Ph.D., Presidential professor at Loyola Marymount who teaches school law and ethics.
- Julie Mead, Ph.D., Professor in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis at the University of Wisconsin
- Concetta Raimondi, Ed.D., Clinical Assistant Professor in Education Leadership and Policy Studies at Indiana University
- Rosemary Rehak, Ed.D., Former Assistant Superintendent of Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation in Columbus, IN
- Charles Russo, J.D., Ed.D., Professor at the University of Dayton who teaches school law and ethics
- Elizabeth Shaver, J.D., Assistant Professor at the University of Akron School of Law
- Lisa Tanselle, J.D., Attorney with Indiana School Boards Association
- Mario Torres, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Educational Administration and Human Resource Development at Texas A&M University