Fourteen teachers from around Indiana have been named Armstrong Teacher Educators for 2021-22.
The Armstrong award recognizes educator excellence and provides financial support for top Indiana educators to work with current IU faculty and undergraduates in the classroom and early field experiences. From panel discussions to classroom observation and collaboration with School of Education faculty, Armstrong teachers are part of the critical work of training the next generation of teachers.
“We’re thrilled to recognize these teachers as some of the best educators in Indiana,” said Adam Maltese, Professor and Martha Lea and Bill Armstrong Chair for Teacher Education. “We can’t wait for School of Education students to learn from our Armstrong teachers and benefit from their years of experience. As exemplars, they help our students to see what great classrooms look like.”
Since 1997, this award has been funded through the generosity of the Martha Lea and Bill Armstrong Fund and the Cook Group companies.
Next year’s cohort of teachers includes:
- Jennifer Burkhead, Fifth Grade, Willow Lake Elementary, Indianapolis
- Cynthia Burton-Cottrell, Secondary Education Specialist, Lynhurst 7th and 8th Grade Center, Indianapolis
- Rose Calhoun, Science, Clay High School, South Bend
- Alyssa Chew, Seventh Grade science, North Putnam Middle School, Roachdale
- Caroline Day, Counselor, Mentone Elementary School, Mentone
- Selma (Sally) Godfrey, Eighth Grade Language Arts, Blackhawk Middle School. Fort Wayne
- Patrice Huley, Fourth Grade, Edgewood Elementary School, Michigan City
- Leah Leibacher, English and Earth Space Science, Eastern Greene High School, Bloomfield
- Bernita McGraw, Seventh and Eighth Grade Math, Urban Act Academy, Indianapolis
- Lynn Norris, History, Sullivan High School, Sullivan
- Stephanie Noth, Fourth Grade High Ability, Edgewood Intermediate School, Bloomington
- Kelsey Pavelka, Dual Language Spanish Immersion, West View Elementary, Muncie
- Jennifer Stahl, English, West Washington Jr./Sr. High, Campbellsburg
- Alicia Stevens, Third Grade, Crestview Elementary, Indianapolis