Career development is a journey—and the Career Connections team is here to guide you through every stage.
Create Your Vision
Career exploration is a lifelong process. No matter where you are now, you should always be thinking about future opportunities and possibilities. A successful career requires knowledge of yourself, awareness of realistic possibilities, and then planning the steps needed to reach your goal.
Considering a future in education?
- The Career Development Center (CDC) is a good place to start learning about careers in education. Take advantage of the CDC’s drop-in advising service to talk to a career advisor. They may recommend taking the Strong Interest Inventory assessment, which can help confirm your career interests. Check out the Education Career Guide, which will walk you through opportunities in education.
- Attend one of our workshops to gain insight into current trends in the field of education and career opportunities across the United States.
- Exploremajors.indiana.edu is a great resource for connecting your interests to available majors at IU. It includes helpful summaries of majors and minors.
- Learn about teaching careers at O*NET Online.
“My experience at IU has everything to do with the success in my current position. I constantly look back to the methods I learned in my courses at the School of Ed when I’m teaching in classrooms around the state.”
School of Education ’10 graduate
Horsing Around with Art Coordinator, Kentucky Derby Museum
Already majoring in education?
- Make an appointment with a Career Connections advisor to talk one-on-one about your interests and goals.
- Adding a minor or license addition can help maximize your marketability and add breadth to your education.
- Think about taking the Myers Briggs Type Indicator at the Career Development Center to identify how your personality type might affect your learning and teaching styles.
- Use the Education Career Guide to find information and news about the field.
- Become more familiar with teaching careers at O*NET Online.
- Set up your account on Career Connections Online and use it to see where job are currently available.
- See what School of Education alumni have accomplished by requesting access to the IU Alumni Association’s Alumni Directory.
Feel like you have a pretty good vision?
Now let’s start working toward your goals.
Schedule an individual appointment with one of our advisors. Career services are available to all students and alumni of the IU School of Education.
Phone: (812) 856-8500
Or stop by the front desk in Suite 1000 in the W.W. Wright Education Building.