Get a head start on your future teaching career. A number of highly qualified incoming freshmen will be invited for direct admission into the School of Education.
As a Direct Admit, you’ll enjoy:
- Academic advising through the School of Education from your very first semester.
- Consideration for additional scholarships, including a stipend to student teach through one of our Global Gateway for Teachers programs
- Invitations to special events
- Participating in special mentoring programs
If you're already certain you want to teach, our advisors can help make sure you get as much out of your program as possible, from fitting in international study to taking advantage of opportunities to earn license additions before you graduate.
You’ll be offered automatic direct admission to the School of Education if you meet all of these requirements:
- You apply for admission to IU Bloomington by November 1.
- On your application for admission, you list education as your intended major.
- You’re admitted to IU Bloomington.
- You have a cumulative grade point average of 3.6 or higher on a 4.0 scale. Weighted GPAs will be converted to a 4.0 scale.
If you choose to apply to IU without ACT/SAT scores under the test-optional guidelines you will be reviewed on other aspects of your application, including performance in academic coursework, quality of application essay(s), and additional activities and achievements.
You’ll learn if you’ve been offered direct admission within four weeks of being admitted to IU Bloomington. Along with being offered direct admissions, you will also be invited to complete the Selective Scholarship Application to be considered for scholarship opportunities from the School of Education.
All applications that do not meet the above qualifications for automatic direct admission will receive a second review the following January. We may offer direct admission to students in these three situations:
- Students who apply to IU Bloomington after November 1 but meet the other criteria for automatic direct admission
- Students who are very close to meeting the GPA requirement
- Students who apply to IU Bloomington by November 1 indicating a non-education major and then switch to a School of Education major
For questions regarding the Direct Admit Scholars program, contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.