Degrees & Programs
Higher Education & Student Affairs
Our graduate program in higher education and student affairs is one of the oldest programs in the United States. We started offering courses more than 50 years ago. For many years we have been considered one of the leading graduate programs in the country. We are consistently ranked among the top ten graduate programs by U.S. News and World Report.
Our faculty possess a unique blend of strong scholarly records and extensive experience in senior administrative roles. As a result they bring a rich understanding of leading research in their areas of expertise along with the ability to translate their ideas into the practical world of public and institutional policymaking. Collectively our faculty resources include expertise in the areas of assessment and evaluation, comparative education, economics and finance, enrollment management, institutional research, policy studies, student affairs, student development, student engagement and teaching and learning.
- Grad Certificate - Higher Ed & Student Affairs On-line
- Undergrad Certificate - Higher Ed & Student Affairs
- Certificate in Institutional Research
- M.S.Ed. in Higher Education & Student Affairs
- Ed.D. in Higher Education
- Ph.D. in Higher Education
The Higher Education & Student Affairs (HESA) program at Indiana University is a pioneer in the study of higher education and student affairs administration. Among the first departments in the country to offer degree programs in this field of study, the HESA program has a distinguished history and continues to be nationally recognized as a leader in the development of higher education scholar-practitioners. Our graduates serve as administrative leaders in postsecondary institutions throughout the country, researchers, as well as faculty members that continue to cultivate new insights and understandings in the field.
We encourage you to explore our website and learn more about our degree programs. Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions or to learn more about our program.
Our faculty combine excellence in research with practical experience as university and college administrators.
- Victor Borden, Professor
- Danielle DeSawal, Clinical Associate Professor and Master's Program Coordinator
- Gerardo Gonzalez, Professor
- Lucy LePeau, Assistant Professor
- Alexander McCormick, Associate Professor and Director, National Survey of Student Engagement
- Sam Museus, Associate Professor
- Thomas Nelson Laird, Associate Professor and Director, Center for Postsecondary Research
- Andrea Walton, Associate Professor of Education; Associate Professor of Philanthropic Studies (School of Liberal Arts)
- Robin Hughes, Interim Executive Associate Dean School of Education, Associate Professor, Higher Education Student Affairs (HESA); Adjunct Associate Professor African American African Diaspora Studies, Bloomington and Indianapolis
- Lori Patton Davis, Professor, Higher Education and Student Affairs
- Megan Palmer, Associate Professor, Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs & Professional Development, IU School of Medicine, Vice Chair for Education , Department of Emergency Medicine, IU School of Medicine
- Gary Pike, Professor
- Karen Adams,Chief of Staff, Office of the President
- Jillian Kinzie, Adjunct, Associate Director, Center for Postsecondary Research and National Survey of Student Engagement Institute
- Joan Middendorf, Assistant Adjunct Professor, Associate Director of Campus Instructional Consulting, Co-Director of Freshman Learning Project
- Dave O'Guinn, Adjunct Associate, IU Associate General Counsel and Chief Litigation Counsel
- Lori Reesor, Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, IUB
- Jason Spratt, Dean of Students, IUPUI
- Christopher Viers, Adjunct, Associate Vice President for International Services
- Trudy Banta, Professor Emerita
- John Bean, Professor Emeritus
- Nancy Chism, Professor Emerita
- Donald Hossler, Professor Emeritus
- George Kuh, Chancellor's Professor Emeritus
- Charlie Nelms, Professor Emeritus
PERMISSION REQUEST FORM - EDUC-C & EDUC-U Courses ONLY
- Ph.D. Program Description
- Ed.D. Program Description
- Doctoral Graduate Forms
- Qualifying Exams
- Fellowships and Awards
- First Year Review Overview
- First Year Review Checklist
- Late Registration Form - for those past the self registration period in the current semester who have not yet enrolled in ANY courses.
In the last eight years, placement of our graduates has been close to 100 percent, with almost all entering positions in student affairs. Many alumni, now in prominent positions in the field, are eager to hire IU graduates. If you'd like to learn about our upcoming graduates, check out the resumes of our 2018 cohort!
More than 2,000 HESA alumni are working at institutions across the United States as faculty members, senior-level administrators, and student affairs professionals. View Career Opportunities from other institutions and organizations seeking HESA graduates!
Awards, Events, News & Orgs
Doctoral Program Virtual Visit
An online virtual information session was held on November 3, 2017. The recording from the 2017 session can be found here.
The Virtual Visit provides a unique opportunity for prospective students to learn more about Ph.D. and Ed.D. programs in Higher Education at IU Bloomington. In a 2-hour web conference, faculty and current students will provide insights about the program and prospective students will have an opportunity to ask questions.
Doctoral Recruitment Program For Admitted Students
The best time to visit the IUB campus is during the Doctoral Recruitment Program. This program provides the best opportunity to meet the HESA faculty, current doctoral students, other admitted students like yourself, and potential assistantship providers. The program itinerary includes an introduction of the HESA faculty, an overview of the doctoral programs and curriculum, and an introduction to the various research groups associated with the doctoral program. A more definitive itinerary of the Doctoral Recruitment Program will be updated at a later date. We welcome and encourage everyone who has been admitted to the HESA program to attend!