- Counseling and Educational Psychology
- Academic Program(s):
- School Psychology
- ED 4020
- (812) 855-0352
I am currently a Visiting Clinical Faculty member in the School Psychology program at IU. I supervise our first year and advanced practicum placements, as well at the Ed.S. Internship. In the spring, I will also be supervising second year practicum students as well as teaching the Seminar in Therapeutic Interventions for Children.
I am currently a National Certified School Psychologist and licensed psychologist, endorsed as a Health Service Provider in Psychology. My prior experiences have included working as a building-level school psychologist in an urban district in Aurora, Colorado, serving an ethnically, racially, and socioeconomically diverse school of over 700 students. I have also served as statewide trainer for PBIS Indiana, a project aimed at establishing a statewide network of culturally-responsive positive behavior interventions and supports (CR-PBIS), with a focus on creating culturally responsive schools and developing a more equitable system of discipline in Indiana schools. Most recently, I served as a Behavior Specialist for a local school corporation and coordinated the district’s self-contained program for students with emotional and behavioral challenges.
My research interests include students with emotional and behavioral disorders, particularly students placed in self-contained classroom settings, and issues of equity, cultural competence, and social justice.
- Edl Ormiston, H. (book manuscript in preparation). A Model Program for Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders in a Self-Contained Classroom: Applying Evidence-Based Practices to Program Planning and Service Delivery.
- Skiba, R., Ormiston, H., Martinez, S., & Cummings, J. (2016). Teaching the social curriculum: Classroom management as behavioral instruction. Theory Into Practice, 55(2), 120-128.
- Lucariello, J. M., Nastasi, B. K., Anderman, E. M., Dwyer, C., Ormiston, H., & Skiba, R. (2015). Science supports education: The behavioral research base for Psychology’s top 20 principles for enhancing teaching and learning. Mind, Brain, and Education, 10(1), 55-67.
- Perdue, N., Edl Ormiston, H., Estell, D. B., & Stanley, H. C. (2013). Social context and the academic success of children at risk: Student-teacher relationships and parental involvement in school.Journal of Educational Research and Policy Studies, 13(1), 1-17.
- Shure, L. A., Edl Ormiston, H., & Brentano, M. (2011). PBIS Indiana: Applying culturally responsive practice to positive behavior supports. Association for Positive Behavior Supports Newsletter, 9(3), 1-4.
- Edl, H. M., Humphreys, L., & Martinez, R. S.(2009).University-school collaboration for the implementation of a tier III reading program for elementary school students.Journal of Applied School Psychology, 25, 221-243.
- Edl, H. M., Jones, M. H., & Estell, D. B.(2008).Ethnicity and English proficiency: Teacher perceptions of interpersonal competence in European-American and Latino students.School Psychology Review, 37, 38-45.
- *Edl Ormiston, H. (2017, April). Children with behavioral challenges: An introduction to Collaborative Problem Solving. Presented at the PBIS Indiana Coaches Forum, Indianapolis, IN.
- *Edl Ormiston, H. (2017, April). Collaborative Problem Solving in practice: How can we make it work?Presented at the PBIS Indiana Coaches Forum, Indianapolis, IN.
- Edl Ormiston, H., Middelberg, L. V., & Haut, J. (2013, March).An elementary case study of a site implementing culturally responsive PBIS. Presented at the International Conference on Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports annual conference, San Diego, CA.
- Middelberg, L. V., & Edl Ormiston, H. (2013, March). Student perceptions of culturally responsive positive behavior Interventions and supports. Presented at the International Conference on Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports annual conference, San Diego, CA.
- Edl Ormiston, H., & Otero, T. L. (2013, February). Skill deficits at setting events in the FBA process.Poster presented at the National Association of School Psychologists annual convention, Seattle, WA.
- * Ormiston, H. E.(2012, October).Developing our cultural proficiency.Presented at the Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation, Columbus, IN.
- * Ormiston, H. E.(2012, August).PBIS Indiana: Examining and addressing disproportionality in suspension and expulsion.Presented at the NAACP Statewide Education Summit, Fort Wayne, IN.
- * Pérez, B., & Ormiston, H. E. (2012, July).Developing culturally responsive practices within a PBIS framework. Presented at the Brown University Leadership Cadre Summer Institute, Evansville, IN.
- * Brentano, M., Ormiston, H.E., & Shure, L.A.(2012, March).Enhancing culturally responsive family engagement through PBIS implementation.Presented at the International Conference on Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports annual conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Pérez, B., Azziz, R., & Ormiston, H. E.(2012, February).Developing culturally responsive practices within a PBIS framework.Paper presented at the National Association of School Psychologists annual convention, Philadelphia, PA.
- Ormiston H.E., & Olson, J. L.(2012, February). Program planning for students with emotional disabilities: School psychologist’s role.Poster presented at the National Association of School Psychologists annual convention, Philadelphia, PA.
- * Ormiston, H.E., & Pérez, B. (2011, December).Applying a culturally responsive PBIS framework to after-school programs.Presented at the Indiana Youth Institute: Because Kids Count annual conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Pérez, B., Ormiston, H.E., & Ritter, S. (2011, November).Developing culturally responsive practices in school-wide discipline plans. Paper presented at the National Association of Multicultural Education Conference, Chicago, IL.
- * Ormiston, H.E.(2011, April). Understanding behavior: Managing skill deficits with FBA’s. Presented at the Indiana Council of Administrators of Special Education Southeast Roundtable Topical Conference, Madison, IN.
- Ormiston, H.E., Shure, L.A., & Brentano, M. (2011, March). PBIS Indiana: Applying culturally responsive practice to Positive Behavior Supports.Presented at the International Association for Positive Behavior Supports Annual Conference, Denver, Colorado.
- Olson, J.,Ormiston, H.E., & Schneller, C.(2011, January). Self-contained classrooms: Successfully managing behavioral skill deficits. Presented at the Courage to Risk Biannual Conference, Colorado Springs, Colorado..
- Nationally Certified School Psychologist, 2007-present
- National Association of School Psychologists, member, 2007-present
- Reviewer, 2011-present, Psychology in the Schools
- Reviewer, 2012-present, Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders