- BS, Computer Science, Tennessee State University
- MEd, Educational Administration and Supervision, Tennessee State University
- PhD, Higher Education and Student Affairs, Indiana University
- Snipes, J.T., Darnell, C. (2018). "Non-Black student recruitment at Historically Black Colleges and Universities." M. Christopher Brown II, T. Elon Dancy II (Eds.) Black Colleges Across the Diaspora, pp. 49-67. Bingley, WA, UK: Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Darnell, C. (2016). “HBCU Renaissance: The Potential of Black College Partnerships.” In Crystal deGregory (Ed.) The Journal of HBCU Research and Culture.
- Darnell, C. (2015). Sharecropping in Higher Education: A Case Study of the Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University-Florida State University Joint College of Engineering. T. Ingram, A. Hilton, D. Greenfield, J. Carter (Eds.). Exploring Issues of Diversity Within HBCUs, pp. 241-263. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.