The following questions may help you in making your decision:
- Can you dedicate 10-20 hours a week to learning? (starting an educational program part-time is like having a part-time job)
- Are you a self-paced learner? Do you like classroom learning because it helps you organize your time better?
- Are you OK with not having face-to-face interaction with the professors and other students? Is one of the things you value most about classroom experiences the personal interaction?
- Will you have regular and reliable access to a computer and the Internet?
- Do you have the financial resources to complete the MS or Certificate program?
The "Successful Online Education Student" is:
- Able to learn without face-to-face interaction
- Strong in reading and writing skills
- Well organized
- An independent worker
- Goal oriented
- Able to work well in groups
- Willing to communicate regularly with professor and other students
IST "Try It Out" Courses
These course are provided to help you make better sense of what the IST online courses would be like.
Note: These "Try It Out" courses do not count toward the program requirement. You must register for them through the IU School of Education Online Education Program.
R511: Instructional Technology Foundations (3 credits)
Introduction to the field, theory, and professions of instructional technology including definitions of instructional technology, the history of the field, and current trends and issues.
|You can live anywhere, but you must have good Internet connectivity and provide your own computing equipment.|
|You will have a limited number of choices and less flexible sequencing of elective courses available.|
|You will take coursework with IU faculty at a distance. While your schedule of when you work on your course is very flexible, on occasion there may be online meetings that are arranged (e.g., via Adobe Connect, Google+ Hangouts, Skype) .|
|You are not required to make an on-campus visit (except for Ed.D. students who must go to the Bloomington campus on three occasions).|