|9:45 a.m.||Welcome & Continental Breakfast (SoE Auditorium)|
- Suzanne Eckes, J.D., Ph.D., Indiana University
- Janet Decker, J.D., Ph.D., Indiana University
- Dionne Danns, Ph.D., Indiana University
|10-11 a.m.||Hot Topics in Education Law in 2018-2019 (SoE Auditorium)|
- John Borkowski, J.D., Husch Blackwell
- Dena Cushenberry, Ed.D.
- Wayne Haglund, J.D., Haglund Law Firm
- Stephen Seedorf, Ed.D., Frontier Academy
Facilitator: Allison Fetter-Harrott, J.D., Ph.D., Franklin College
|11:15 a.m. - 12 p.m.||Breakout Sessions on Hot Topics in Education Law (SoE Classrooms)|
- Employment law basics for public school leaders with Alli Fetter-Harrott - ED 1225
- Does the Establishment Clause still matter, or is everything now a religious right? with Wayne Haglund - ED 1220
- Why, when, and who should contact the Department of Child Protective Services in K-12 schools with Dena Cushenberry - ED 1004
- Legalities around emergency mental health holds for students in K-12 schools with Stephen Seedorf - Auditorium
- New Title IX regulations with John Borkowski - ED 1006
|12 - 12:45 p.m.||Lunch (SoE Atrium & Second Floor Balcony)|
|12:45 p.m.||IUSAA Awards (SoE Atrium)|
|1 - 2 p.m.||Keynote Speaker|
- Martha McCarthy, Ph.D., Loyola Marymount University, "Student Expression in a Digital Age"
|2:15 - 3:15 p.m.||Panel on School Safety/Search and Seizure/SRO (SoE Auditorium)|
- Séamus Boyce, J.D., Church Church Hittle + Antrim
- Kevin McKenna, J.D., Latsha Davis & McKenna
- Hardy Murphy, Ph.D., Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
- Jacqueline Stefkovich, J.D., Ed.D., Penn State University
Facilitator: Jennifer Rippner, J.D., Ph.D., Indiana University
|3:15 - 4 p.m.||Law & Policy Table Topics (SoE Atrium)|
Participants can select a table with a designated topic for discussions with the following facilitators.
- Susan Bon, J.D., Ph.D, University of South Carolina: Updates and highlights from SPED cases in 2018-2019
- Christine Kiracofe, Ed.D., Purdue University: Can you legally hold public school graduation ceremonies in a church?
- Elizabeth T. Lugg, J.D., Ph.D., Illinois State University: Laws and legal guidelines pertinent to the delivery of school psychological services
- Mark Paige, J.D., Ph.D., University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth: Regulation and discipline of teacher off-campus conduct including legal use of marijuana
- Angela Balsley, Ed.D., Earlywood Educational Services: Using legal literacy to advocate for policy change