Jacobs Educator Award
Outstanding teachers from across the U.S. who are at the cutting edge of integrating technology to support problem-based and/or inquiry learning classrooms are encouraged to apply for this award. Recipients will connect with researchers at the IU School of Education to create short reports that will provide useable research for busy teachers to help them understand best practices.
The Jacobs Educator Award program is sponsored by the Barbara B. Jacobs Chair in Education and Technology at the IU School of Education in partnership with the Center for Research on Learning and Technology.
Meet the 2017 Jacobs Educators
Who should apply?
- Pre-K to 12 teachers in any content area
- At least 5 years of teaching experience
- Use of technology to support guided inquiry and problem-based learning
Each selected Jacobs Educator will receive:
- $1,500 stipend at the end of their one-year appointment,
- $1,000 to be used to purchase technology resources for use in their teaching,
- Additional funds to support travel to Indiana University Bloomington, if necessary.
Each Jacobs Educator will be asked to provide their expertise to the Indiana University School of Education during the year they are selected as an award recipient. This expertise will involve:
- Participation in preparing research-to-practice brief with Indiana University faculty member by working with a selected faculty member translate their research findings into a two-page summary by teachers for teachers.
- Help edit video of researcher-teacher conversation to be a companion to the research-to-practice brief.
How to Apply
Submit the following materials through our online application form:
- A current resume documenting your teaching positions and experience.
- A brief (250 words maximum) essay describing your beliefs regarding the best ways to use technology to support inquiry-based teaching and learning.
- A two-minute video that provides an overview of a technology-enhanced inquiry-based activity you have implemented in your classroom in the past year. (See exemplary application videos here)
- One letter of support from a building or district administrator (e.g., building principal, district superintendent)
Please have your letter of recommendation mailed to:
Dr. Cindy E. Hmelo-Silver
Barbara B. Jacobs Chair in Education and Technology
Center for Research on Learning and Technology
IU School of Education
1900 East 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47406
Applications will not be considered complete until the letter of recommendation is received by the Jacobs Educator Program. Selection of award recipients will be made based on an evaluation of the quality of application materials submitted.
Indiana University is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. Thus, we actively encourage women, persons of color, individuals with disabilities, and members of other under-represented groups to submit applications to the Jacobs Educator Award Program.
Program applicants will be evaluated and selected by an advisory committee of expert faculty and graduate students.