Degrees & Programs
Social Studies Education
Help students become active and engaged citizens. Passionate and engaged social studies educators do more than introduce their students to history, government, geography, and other social sciences. They help their students develop the critical perspective to become informed and active participants in a democratic society.
- M.S.Ed. in Social Studies Education
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction – Specialization in Social Studies Education
The IU School of Education offers degrees in social studies education for all stages of your career, from the new teacher to the experienced educator who wants to move into a leadership position.
Depending on your program, you’ll also have the opportunity to gain valuable classroom experience in Indiana schools, or to participate in school-based research locally, nationally, and internationally.
Our research interests include a wide range of topics, from teacher education and school reform to Western intellectual history, homeschooling and religion, and civic engagement.
- Keith Barton, Professor, Curriculum Studies and Social Studies Education
- Alexander Cuenca, Assistant Professor
- Kathryn Engebretson, Assistant Professor
- Patricia Kubow, Professor of International Comparative Education
- Robert Kunzman, Professor of Curriculum Studies and Philosophy of Education, and Martha Lea and Bill Armstrong Chair for Teacher Education
- Terrence Mason, Dean
- Leana McClain, Senior Clinical Lecturer
Career options for social studies education students run the gamut from teaching in elementary, middle, and high schools, to teaching and research at the university level, to working in government and non-profit educational organizations, including museums.
If you’re new to teaching, our education careers advisors can help you with your job search. If you’re looking for a higher education position, the sites below offer a good idea of the opportunities available to you:
For detailed program information, please contact:
Keith C. Barton, Professor
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
W.W. Wright Education Building, Room 3140
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-1006
Phone: (812) 856-8058