International Student Resources
International students are an important part of our community. In fact, 10 percent of IU students are from outside the United States. The reputation of our degree programs and faculty has brought students here from all over the world, and all our students benefit from hearing about the diverse experiences and perspectives of international students. To help you navigate life at IU, we offer these resources.
- Goodwill Ambassadors—Connect with a current international student who comes from your part of the world
- Office of International Services—Get assistance with issues such as immigration, travel, and employment
- International Programs and Events—Find out about upcoming concerts, coffee hours, and conversation clubs
Life in Bloomington
We look forward to welcoming you to Bloomington. Our community is culturally rich. You’ll find a variety of ethnic restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance of campus, excellent public transportation systems, and on- and off-campus health care facilities.
There are numerous on-campus and off-campus living options to accommodate both single students and students with families. Explore housing options on campus and in the Bloomington community:
Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students and their families. You can arrange for health coverage through the Office of International Services.
If you have health insurance provided by your home institution it will not be necessary to arrange insurance here. However, you will need to provide documentation in English of that insurance upon your arrival. This information should include the amounts covered (money available and the extent of the coverage). Maternity coverage is required for women.
We suggest that you do the following when making your arrangements to travel to Bloomington:
- Your final airline destination should be Indianapolis, Indiana (IND). This is the closest airport to Bloomington.
- You will want to make sure that you arrive in Indianapolis between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. There is no overnight shuttle service to Bloomington, and the last shuttle leaves the airport at 10:40 p.m.
- You will need to take either the Bloomington Shuttle Service or Classic Touch Limousine Service from Indianapolis to Bloomington. The travel time is just over one hour.