Visiting Scholar Policy
Visiting scholars are an important part of our intellectual climate and academic community. They bring a variety of perspectives and experiences to the dialog about the challenges and opportunities educators face globally. The IU School of Education is dedicated to building and strengthening bridges of international understanding and global research in education. Application materials are available on the website, and visits are covered by the following policy regarding responsibilities of scholars and sponsoring members of faculty.
Responsibilities of the visiting scholar before acceptance/arrival:
- (Typically) hold a faculty position, or a comparable research or administrative appointment, with a recognized institution
- Identify a faculty sponsor
- Provide required documentation as listed on the SoE website
Responsibility of the sponsoring faculty within the SoE before the scholar arrives:
- Fill out the Visiting Scholar Sponsor Form, which provides confirmation to the Dean’s office and department chair of your willingness to support the visiting scholar, and provides a short statement of expectation for support for and/or collaboration with the visiting scholar
Responsibility of the sponsoring faculty within the SoE after the scholar arrives:
- Introduce the visiting scholar at a department or program faculty meeting during the scholar’s visit
- Provide the support and/or carry out activities included in the Sponsor form
Responsibilities of the visiting scholar two weeks or more before leaving IU:
- Fill out the Visiting Scholar Report for the School of Education Dean’s office, outlining tangible accomplishment(s) achieved during the visit.